Touring in Beijing
Top Ten World-renowned Tourist Attractions in Beijing
In 1992, Beijing recommended "World Top Ten" after the assessment of scores of specialists and scholars.
1. The Great Wall: The longest defensive city wall in the world.
2. The Imperial Palace: The largest and best-preserved palatial complex existing now.
3. Tian'anmen Square: The largest city-center square in the world.
4. The Temple of Heaven: The largest heaven-worshipping architecture in the world.
5. The Summer Palace: The best-preserved imperial garden in the world that boasts centralized architectural masterpieces as well as scenic beauties.
6. Beihai Park: The imperial park built earliest in the world.
7. Ming Tombs: The best-preserved imperial mausoleum structure buried most emperors .
8. The Site ol Peking Man at ZhOUkOUdlan An ancient human cultural site with most abundant cultural remains, where discovered the fossil of homo ereclus and traces of fire-using.
9. Yunju Temple: The temple with the largest collection of stone-carved Buddhist scriptures in the world.
lO.Yongle Bell: The bell with the greatest number of inscriptions in the world.
Do you know Beijing
- Political center of China
- The milage volume of passenger transport of Beijing subway ranks No. 1 in the whole country.
- Beijing is a city with the highest modernization level of China city infrastructure.
- Capital Airport is the traffic pivot and circulation center of China Aviation.
- The West Railway station is the largest modernized railway passenger transport center in Asia.
- Beijing: Financial resolution center of China.
- Beijing Concert Hall: the most frequently used performance place for solemn music in world:
- Beijing is an area with the densest intellectual resources in China.
- Published newspapers and books ranks No. 1 with a percentage of 36% in the whole country.
- China Art Gallery: the art gallery with the largest scale in China.
- Beijing Aeronautic Museum: the aeronautic museum with the largest scale in China.
- China Aeronautic Museum: the first air force museum in China.
- Imperial Archives (Huangshicheng): the largest state archives in ancient times now existing in China.
- Longcang scripture of Qing dynasty in Zhlhua temple is the only intact-preserved longcang scripture in China. It had only printed 200, which is best-preserved. Longcang scripture means to collect all Buddhist scriptures together to store. Longcang scripture is the best-preserved Buddhism Encyclopedia in China.
- The largest pavilion in China: the square pavilion in the Utile Western Paradise Guanyin Hall in Beihai Park was built in the period of Emperor Qianlong, which is 26.8 meters high and supported by 84 huge columns and the construction area amount to 1264 square meters.
- Archway in Ming Tombs : the largest and earliest stone archway now existing in China.
- Seventeen-arch Bridge in the Summer Palace is a bridge with most stone lions in Beijing. There are 544 stone lions all together on it, 59 more than Marco Polo Bridge.
- Marble Boat in the Summer Palace: the largest ancient marble boat In China.
- Beijing Zoo: the largest zoo in China with the most breeds and quantity.
- Yunju Temple: the temple with the largest collection of stone-carved Buddhist scriptures in the world.
- Ming Tombs: the most intact and most centralized mausoleum complex now existing in our country.
-The Temple of Heaven: the largest ancient heaven-worshipping architectural complex now existing in China.
- Chinese earliest collected Taoist scriptures: Legitimate Collected Taoist Scriptures in White Cloud Temple (Baiyunguan), Chinese earliest Dao Scripture collection, 5,305 volume in all, printed by Zhaoyi Supervisor in the tenth Ming Zhengtong year, A.D. 1445.
- Chinese most intact collected scripture ancestral edition: Zhaocheng Jincang in Beijing Library, 7,000 volume in all, the content is consistent with Chinese first big Zhang Scripture.
- Ordination terrace temple (Jietaisi): the largest ordination terrace in China.
- Virtuous harmony theatre building (Dehe Daxilou) in the Summer Palace: the larges ancient theatre building of China.
New sight spots in Beijing
With the advent of Olympic Games, Beijing is changing with each passing day. We are always finding surprising changes on the streets; Beijing is taking on a new look to welcome the Olympic Games with more and more beautiful sceneries...
1. Yuandadu Relics Park
(relics of capital city of Yuan Dynasty)
Sight spots of Yuan Dynasty City Wall Relics Park (Haidian Section) are distributed in Xitucheng and Beitucheng, of which, Chengyuanhuaigu, Jimenyanshu, Tiejixiongfeng are located in Xitucheng Section, visitors can arrive by Bus No. 392, 375 and 902; Jicaofenfei, Yinbodeyue, Ziweiruhua, Dadujiandian, Shuiguanxiyi, Jijiangshengshi and Yanyunmuge are located in Beitucheng Section. visitors can arrive by Bus No. 22, 38 and 331 f 84629930
Built on the basis of Yuan Dynasty City Wall, Yuandadu Relics Park is a key scenery project lor Beijing Olympics Games. Divided into Haidian Section and Chaoyang Section, il is the largest band shaped park in Beijing with a total length ol 9 km. Giani group statues ol 19 historical figures like Kublai Khan, Imperial Concubine and Italian traveler Marco Polo represent the "Prosperity ol Dadu" in the form of earth city. Group statue "Prosperity of Dadu" has become the largest group statue in Beijing, its harmony witli earlli city makes Yuandadu Cily Wall Relics Park a large size "open air art museum", it is also a urban park with the function ol disaster prevention and reluge function. Located in the south ol Olympic Park, it has become the natural barrier of
Olympic Park. Yuandadu City Wall Relics Park will, alter its completion, be in harmony with Olympic Park with its stylo of green sites, history, human culture and high tech environmental protection and become Ihe lirsl sights lor People's Olympic.
2. Huangchenggen Site Park
Located between Forbidden City and Wangfujing Pedestrian Street, Huangchenggen Site Park is the location of east wall of imperial city of Qing Dynasty. Since Yuan Dynasty, Beijing city has been divided into Forbidden City, Imperial City and Outer City. Forbidden City, currently called Palace Museum, is located in the center, Outer City is along the present 2nd Ring Road and the Imperial City is the middle. There are 7 cultural sites inside the park, which include: map of Beijing of Ming and Qing Dynasty, relics of underground wall base, rebuilt section of imperial city wall, courtyard houses between Dong Chang Lane and Cuihua Lane and statues of Sino-French University, afforestation coverage of the park will be as high as 90%.
3. China Millennium Monument
No. 9A, Fuxing Road, Haidian District, Beijing (between CCTV and Military Museum)
Military Museum Stop by Bus No. 1,4,33,57,65, 320,337, 728, 827, Special Line 1 and Special Line 5, Military Museum Stop by Subway Line1.
Built to welcome new millennium, China Millennium Monument is located in the south ol Yuyuantan Park with Military Museum in the east and CCTV in tho west. Inscription ol "China Millennium Monument" by General Secretary Jiang Zemin is engraved on the front side ol tho monument at the south entrance and inscriptions lor China Millennium Monument are engraved on back side of the monument. Willi total area ol 4.5 hectare and building area of 44,000 square meters, main body ol China Millennium Monument is comprised ol immovable cloisters and rotating monument surface, a pointer of 45 meters pointing to the blue sky is inserted on the upper side of the monument. It will remind you of sundial in Palace Museum. Surface ol round altar is "Tianren Square" with an area ol 1,700 square meters and inclination angle of 19.4 degree, it rotates one circle a day. It has not only a large open-air stage for performance, but also an exhibition hall of statues ol celebrities of past dynasties, exhibition wall for 56 nationalities and world-class large screen projection hall.
4. Changpu River Park
Officially called Outer Jinshui River, Changpu is originated from Xiyuan zhonghai lake of Imperial City and flows eastwards into Yuhe River along the south wall of Imperial City in front of Tian' anmen Gate Tower. Yuhe River, as the section of Tonghui River after flowing into Dadu, became a watercourse after the stoppage of water transport of grain to capital. In order to retrieve the styles and features of this area, government of Dongcheng District started the construction of Changpu River Park in Mar. 2003, after completion, Changpu River connects with Outer Jinshui River in front of Tian' anmen Gate Tower with a length of 510 meters. Afforestation coverage of the park reaches 65%, with tree and flowers scattered all over the park, making the park full ol life. Another highlight ol the park is the court architectures with the style ol traditional courtyard with building on lour sides in the north side of the park, which is In harmony with the park and gives prominence lo the magnificence of Forbidden City.
5. Shiiingshan Sculpture Garden
West Street,Bajiao,Shijingshan District
As an artist garden decorated by plants and sculptures, Shijingshan Sculpture Garden boasts of its leading positions in China's garden and park industry. Highlights ol the park are over 30 sculptures by teachers and students ol Sculpture Department of China Central Academy of Fine Arts allocated into three scenic spots. These sculptures, made of stones, copper and woods or even modern new material, have different styles and diversified subjects. Delicate architectural complex combining the northern and southern architectural styles of China is located in Chunzaoyuan, there are five exhibition rooms in the court, in which, artistic exhibitions on painting and calligraphy, photography, stamp collection, root carving and bonsai are held all year around.
6. Nan Guan Park
Built in 1956, Nan Guan Park is the first ecological water garden using reclaimed water. A "reclaimed water treatment station" of over 800 square meters is built inside the park, which supply the water for construction of water spaces, irrigation of trees and flowers and cleaning of park after processing domestic sewage from neighboring residential quarter into first level water. The park is characterized by it subject of "water sights". Water sights of natural lakes, brooks, valleys, fountains and falls are best represented in the small space. Almost all methods used for creating water scenery with fountain in China and abroad are adopted to show poly postures of water.
The optimum meeting point of new Beijing and old Beijing, culture essence of China nation with the representation of royalty culture is embodied in Dongcheng, Dongcheng District Is the most centralized district of Beijing cultural relics & historical site, so Dongcheng District should be the first object of your traval!
7. Imperial Palace
No. 4 Jingshan Front Street, Dongcheng District Tel: 65132255 Time: 18:30-16:30 from November to March, time of finishing selling ticket is P.M. 3:30,8:30-17:00 from April to October, time of finishing selling ticket is P.M. 15:00. Take No. 1, 2, 4, 5,10, 20, 52, 57, 22, 54,120, 802, special No. 1 bus and get off al Zhongshan Park stop or Tian An Men stop. Take subway, No. 9,17, 44,48, 53, 59, 66,110, 803, 808, 819, 922, special bus No. 4. special bus No. 7 and Tuanjie Lake special route buses and get off at Qian Men slop. Or take No. 101, 103, 103 express, 109, 812 and 814 buses and get off at the Imperial Palace stop, 40 Yuan.
The Imperial Palace is rectangle architecture. It is 961 meters long Irom south to north and 753 meters wide, there is city wall with 10 meters height around and moat outside ol city wall is 52 meters wide. The Imperial Palace has 4 gates, the Gate ol Divine Prowess (Shenwumen) on the north, Meridian Gate (Wumen) on the south, the Eestem Flowery Gate (Donghuamen) on the east, and the Western Flowery Gate (Xihuamen) on the west. There are 4 corner towers at the 4 corners ol city wall and the whole area is 724,250 square meters.
On the whole, the Imperial Palace is divided into two parts: front court and back bedchamber. Not only in the Imperial Palace, monarch bedchamber of Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty is divided like so. Front court ol the Imperial Palace mainly includes the 3 palaces of mid way, and the Hall of Literary Glory (Wenhuadian), the Pavilion of the Source
of Literature (Wenyuange), Shang Si Court, Arrow tower, Imperial Hospital, Imperial Teahouse, Qing Embassy and Cabinet Warehouse of east way. And also Wu Ying Palace, Yan An Palace, Internal Affairs Mansion, Building Office and Nan Xun Palace of west way. Back bedchamber includes Back Three Palaces of mid way (the Palace of Heavenly Purity (Qianqinggong), the Palace of Union and Peace (Jiaotaidian) and the Palace of Earthly Tranquility (Kunninggong)),
East Six Palaces, Feng Xian Palace, Ning Shou Palace and the Palace ol Abstinence (Zhaigong) of east way, West Six Palace, the Hall of Mental Cultivation (Yangxindian), Ci Ning Palace, Shou Kang Palace and Shou An Palace ol west way. So you can choose one route or two routes among mid way (outside court, internal court travel route), west way (internal court west travel route) and east way (internal court east and external east travel route). If you are non-group tourist, suggest you rent multi lingual guide record at Meridian Gate (Wumen) and return when you go to the Gate ol Divine Prowess (Shenwumen). After you visit the Imperial Palace, you go out of the Gate of Divine Prowess (Shenwumen), enter into Jingshan Park and overlook the panorama of the Imperial Palace. In addition, suggest you visit front-street of Jingshan Park by manpower pedi-cab at cool night ol summer. Shining lights are bright and Forbidden City is brilliant. Colored lights from all directions lighten Meridian Gate (Wumen), the Gate of Divine Prowess (Shenwumen), turret, palace wall and other main palaces. Although we can't enter, we can feel romantic loneliness of Beijing survivals of bygone ages old and young remains of the old society in car.
8. Tian An Men Square
Take No. 1, 2, 4, 5,10, 20, 52, 57, 22, 54, 120, 802, special No. 1 bus and get off at Zhongshan Park stop or Tian An Men stop. Take subway. No. 9,17, 44, 48, 53, 59, 66, 110, 803, 808, 819, 922, special bus No. 4, special bus No. 7 and Tuanjiehu special buse route and get off at Qian Men stop.
Tian An Men Square is the heart ol Beijing
and is the largest square in the world. Tian An
Men, which is on the north ol the square, is
originally the frontispiece of the imperial city
of Ming and Qing Dynasties, established in
the fifteenth year of Ming Yong Le. The original
name of it is the Gate ol Heavenly Succession
(Chengtianmen), which means shouldering
the duty from the Heaven. In the eighth year
of Emperor Shunzhi, Qing dynasty, it was
reconstructed and aquired its name as Tian
An Men Rostrum. Tian An Men Rostrum is
33.7 meters high, it is a peak city gale lower
with double eaves. The Rostrum is nine Ying
wide and five rooms deep. Numbers nine and five symbolize the
most superiority. There are 60 huge and lowering columns on
the rostrum where floor is paved with gold brick. There are
chestnut lattice Ian gate on south and north. There painted
Chinese traditional auspicious picture and gold dragon colored
painting on Tian Hua Gate and girder. There are five arch
passages in the face of the Rostrum and the path in the very
middle is especially reserved for the Emperor liimsell. Tian An
Men is the place of issuing imperial edicit by emperors ol Ming
Dynasty and Qing Dynasties. It is used when there are important
celebration activities, such as ascending the throng of new
emperor, marriage and sacrifice, and the parents of the emperor come into the Palace. In
addition, before the emperor personally led his soldiers in a military operation or senior generals
go out for a battle, they should hold sacrifice in front of Tian An Men and pray for victory. There
is the outer golden water in front of city gate tower and seven jade stone bridges run across the
river. The most spacious bridge in the middle the "Imperial Bridge", which is used by the
Emperor exclusively. The "Royals'Bridges" on the two sides of the "Imperial Bridge" are
used by imperial relatives, and "Ministerial Bridge" on the two sides of the "Royals' Bridges"
is used by officials above rank three. Official and soldiers below rank four and servant could only
use the "Common Bridge". Common Bridges run across before the Imperial Ancestral
Temple (nowaday the Working People's Cultural Palace) and the State Temple (nowadays
Zhongshan Park). Tian An Men has been repaired lour times after liberation. Opening
time is from 8:00 A.M. to 17:00 P.M., and the price is 15 Yuan.
Go out of Tian An Men, and then enter into the largest city-central square of the world-
Tian'anmen Square, whose area is forty-four hectare. It is 500 meters wide, 880 meters
long and the ground is paved with light granite slate disposed through special technology
treatment. The flag-raising ceremony at sunrise and flag-lowering ceremony at sunset are the most magnificent rites. When look at vivid five star red flag in rosy down, there is heat and excitement in the heart. There is the Great Hall of fhe People on the west and the meeting place of national people's congress of the People's Republic of China. The Great Hall with huge and complicated
engineering was established within ten months. Possess central hall, great hall, banqueting hall with 7000 square meters, office building of people congress standing committee and hall named with all provinces and autonomous region. The whole area is 172,000 square meters and there are 25 huge columns at the front of frontispiece. Visiting time is from 9:00 to 14:00, and the price is 15 Yuan. You can enter to visit from east gate. The east is The National Museum of China, and visiting the exhibition is like reading concise China General History. Here is state special museum of collecting, exhibiting and researching China ancient and neoteric cultural relics. There is Museum of Chinese Revolution adjacent to it mainly exhibiting China modern history alter Opium War. Opening time is from 8:30 to 16:30, the ticket price is 5 Yuan and the student ticket is 2 Yuan.
There are Monument to the People's Heroes and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum on the south. Monument to the People's Heroes was established according to the resolution of the first plenary session of China People Politics Consultative Conference in 1949. Its external design adopts the project made by Professor Liang Sicheng. Monument body is composed of 413 granites and monument base is paved of 17,000 granites and white marbles. There are eight white marble sculptures on the monument seat: including a series of important history events, such as Opium-burning in Humen, Jintian Uprising, Wuchang Uprising, the May 4th Movement of 1919, the May 30lh Movement of 1925, Nanchang Uprising, War against Japan and Successlul Crossing of the Changjiang River. Design of the tower represents perfect quintessence ol socialism practical art and symbolizes Chinese revere and memory lor revolution martyr.
Chairman Mao's Mausoleum started to construct in November 1976 and completed in May 1977. The area is 2000 square meters and it is composed of north hall (the place holding memorial activity), viewing hall (crystal hall special lor Chairman Mao relique) and south hall. In addition, there are Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai, Liu Shaoqi and Zliu De revolution achievement memorial rooms. II you want to view Chairman Mao's dead portrait, please pay attention to opening lime: the whole day ol Monday, Wednesday and Friday and A.M. 8:30-11:30 and P.M 14:30-16:40 of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Specially notice: Any kinds ol bags of visitors should be deposited before visiting and don't wander around at will and make noiso when you enter into viewing hall. Construction design projects ot China State Theatre is put info the plan of Tian An Men Square. Tian'anmon Square will embodies the status ol Beijing as political and cultural center and we Iry to bring more valuable history cultural relics for posterity on the crossing of modern times and history.
9. Zhongshan Park ( 0.5-hour trip )
Zhongshan Park is located on the west of Tian An Men. II is a perfect city garden with thick nation style. Zhongshan Park originally is Xing Guo Temple of Liao Dynasty, which is changed into the Altar of Land and Grain (She Ji Tan) in the nineteenth Ming Yong Le year (1421). The Altar of Land and Grain (She Ji Tan) is paved with supernatural five colors earth imported from all over the country. Zhonghuang (Yellow in the center), Dongqing (blue in the east), Nanhong (red in the south), Xibai (white in the west) and Beihei (black in the north), which represents "all the earth in the world belong to the Emperor". Here is the place where the emperor of Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty sacrifice earth god and corn god. It is explored into Central Park in 1914. After Dr. Sun Yat-Sen died in 1925, coffin was put in original Bai Hall. In 1928, to remember fhe great revolution forthgoer, Central Park is changed into Zhongshan Park and Bai Hall is changed into Zhongshan Hall.
10. Imperial College (1-hour trip)
Imperial college is the highest institution
ot Yuan Dynasty, Ming Dynasty and
Qing Dynasty and also is the highest
government ottice by which court
mastered state learning and political
command. "PiYong" is the center of
Imperial College, next is three courts
and the architecture on the two sides of
axis is orderly and the place where the
emperor of Qing Dynasty gave lectures.
The largest honor of literati and scholar
who buck for developed olficial career
is that graduating Irom Imperial College
and successfully became a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations and his
name is carved on Kong Temple. Imperial College is also called North College. Imperial College
now is Capital Library.
11. Lao She Memorial Hall ( 1-hour trip )
No. 19 Feng Fu Hutong, Deng Shi Kou West Street, Dongcheng District.
Lao She Memorial Hall occupies 400 square meters and was purchased by Mr. Lao She in 1950. Mr. Lao She has lived here tor 16 years and wrote many enduring works. The memorial hall is a common courtyard with building on 3 sides-Dan Shi Court. There are 2 tall persimmon trees planted by Mr. Lao She himself that are sleek and fruilful at the front of north house. There lie three north houses and penthouses on two sides just like before that exhibit Mr. Lao She's lormer living appearance to people. There are east and west wing rooms in the courtyard explored as memory exhibit room. Wilh abundant valuable libraries, pictures, manuscripts and relic before his death, people can exhibit childhood and creation experience.
12. Ancient Observatory ( 0.5-hour trip )
South of Jian Guo Men subway station, Dongcheng
Beijing Ancient Observatory was built in the 7th year of Ming
Zhengtong (A.D. 1442) and is one ol the oldest observatories in
the world and is also the imperial observatory of Ming Dynasty
and Qing Dynasty. It is history witness of east and west astronomy
communication during the period between Ming Dynasty and
Qing Dynasty. There lies 8 ancient astronomy instruments wilh
majestic vigor and fine carve on the table. There lies elegant, simple and charming outbuildings
group under the table. Until now, as history testimony, government mugwump and government
official of some countries and worldwide famous scientists and astronomers all come here to visit
the chronometer palace with China civilization of 5000 years.
13. Lama Temple (1.5-hour trip)
No. 13 Imperial College Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing
take subway or No. 62,13,116, 44 and special 2 bus and get off at Lama
Lama Temple was built in the 33 Qing Kangxi year (1694), is the largest and best-preserved Lamasery of Yellow Sect in Beijing. It was the residence of Emperor Yongzheng before his ascending to the throne. In the 3 year of Emperor Yongzheng (1752), it was granted the name of "Yong Zheng". The whole temple sits from north toward south. The following architectures line from south to north orderly-the Arch Courtyard (Pailouyuan), the Gate of Zhaotai (Zhaotaimen), the Hall of Heavenly Kings (Tianwangdian), the Hall of Harmony and Peace (Yonghegongdian), the Hall ol Eternal Blessing (Yongyoudian), the Hall of Dharma Wheel (Falundian), and the Ten-Thousand-Happiness Pavilion (Wanfuge) etc. 500 Arhat Mountain in the Hall of Dharma Wheel (Falundian) is carved with rosewood, 3 meters wide, 5 meter high and thirty centimeters thick. The Five -hundred-arhat Mountain is carved with rosewood, which is 3 meters wide, 5 meters high and 30 centimeters thick approximately. The five hundreds arhats is made of five metals-gold, silver, copper, iron and tin-and it is one of "three masterpieces" of Lama Temple. The huge wood-carved "Maidala Buddha" worshipped in the Ten-Thousand-Buddha Pavilion (Wanloge) is 18 meters high, and 26 meters high all together if plus with the 8 meters buried under the earth. It is also one of the "three masterpieces" of Lama Temple. The rosewood huge Buddha has been listed into the Guinness World Record in 1990.
14. Temple of Earth (1-hour trip)
East of Andingmenwai Street, Dongcheng Dislricl
Take subway and get off at An Ding Men station, then go north or take No. 44, 104, 108, 328 and 406 bus and get off at Temple of Earth stop
Temple of Earth is also called Fang Ze Temple and it is the second big Temple of the five temples in Beijing. It was established in the ninth year ol Jia Jing ol Ming Dynasty (A.D. 1530) and occupies an area of 37.3 hectares. It is the place where emperors ol Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty sacrifice. There exist Fang Ze Temple, Emperor Mansion, Butcher Pavilion, the Palace of Abstinence (Zhaigong) and Spirit Storeroom. Recently establish China Rose Garden and Peony Garden again. Every year there is temple fair in Spring Festival (the ticket ol temple of fair period is 6 Yuan). With higher culture taste, abundant culture meaning and bright nation characteristic, it owns honor in China and at overseas and attracts numerous domestic and loreign tourists.
15. Confucius Temple ( 50-minute trip )
E3 No. 13 Imperial College Street, Dongcheng District
Beijing Confucius Temple is the place ol sacrificing Conlucius in Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties and also called Ancestral Teacher Temple. Now it is the site ol Capital Museum. Confucian Temple was originally established in the sixth year of Da De in Yuan Dynasty (1302), and it has a history of more than 600 years. Confucian Temple occupies an area of about 20,000 square meters and has four rows of courtyard. Main architectures in turn include Ancestral Teacher Gate, Da Cheng Gate, Da Cheng Palace and Chong Sheng Temple. There are Tablet Tower, Sacred Kitchen, Animal Pavilion and Well Pavilion on the east ol front yard. There are Tablet Tower and Zhi Zhai Suo on the west. Chijing Gate connects witli the Imperial College. There are 198 stele nominated by a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations of Yuan Dynasty, Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty. Da Cheng Palace is the place of sacrifice before. There are east and west rooms on the two sides and west room is Beijing Brief History Display Room. There are fourteen stone pavilions of Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty in Confucian Temple and epitaph is valuable history inlormation.
16. East Church (1-hour trip)
No. 74 Wang Fu Jing Street, Beijing
East Church, also called Wangfujing Catholic Church, is one of 4 major Catholic churches in Beijing. It was built by 2 priests Louis Baglio and G. de Magalhaens (Portuguguese). Inside the East Church, Catholic Church is built in the middle, width of its fade is 25 meters: 3 crosses are installed on the top of church and a number of paintings alongside both side of hall of the church. This church has become a highlight of t Wangfujing Golden Street and first choice for exterior view ^ of wedding filming.
The history of Xicheng District is quite long. Since ancient times, it connects with the development; of Beijing City closely. Xicheng District is an important carrier of capital Beijing, the political and cultural center. And it is an important financial and commercial activity district. If you come to Xicheng District, you'd better visit the former residence of celebrities, and perhaps they were once your adoring idols. When you enter into their former living place, you can steel be touched, by their personality charm.
17. Hutong Travel
Before we start to visit, we should know what is real
Hutong. Is the Hutong what we called lanes?
Hutong is a Beijing characteristic old city lane.
Hutong originally was named Mongolian, namely
street alley. Because Beijing had layout In ancient
times, the hutong is relatively straight and dotted.
There are 7000 hutong and their names are
very different, some is with person name, such
as Prime Minister Wen Hutong, some is with
market and commodity, such as Golden Fish
Hutong, some is with Beijing idiom, such as
Meng Hu Lu Hutong. Beijing's largest hutong is
East & West Jiao Min Xiang, and the whole
length is 6.5 km. The shortest is one-foot street,
and the length is less than 10 meters. The
narrowest hutong is Qian Shi Hutong in Da Shi
Lan district of Qian Men. It is only 0.7 meters wide and a little fatter people can not pass unless
he hold his breath. Hutong actually is many passages between courtyards with building on the
four sides with different sizes and next by next. In order to collect more natural daylight, courtyard
with buildings on the four sides sit on the north towards south, its arrangement result is that
hutong most become from east to west.
The whole Beijing city is like enlarged courtyard with
buildings on the four sides. The east, west, south and north is basically symmetrical. The layout
is orderly, the vigor is very splendid, and the surrounding is encircled with rectangular high walls
in order. The former residence of celebrities and the princes' residence scattered in downtown
area are all authentic courtyard with buildings on
the four sides. Courtyard with building on the
four sides has the difference of trivial details and
simplicity according to high and low social status
of the people. Big courtyard with building on the
four sides of dignitary and rich businessman is
dainty architecture, owns carved corridor and
picture ridgepole with front and back yard. Small
courtyard with building on the four sides of
populace has simple design and owns narrow
appearance and low house wall. Recently
Beijing's building and mansion is more and more, we scarcely see courtyard with buildings on four sides.
There still are two relatively integrative courtyards with buildings on the tour sides within 2nd Ring Road and later we could only see its appearance in TV series. Before the end of Qing Dynasty, China was still in laggard natural economy. Engage in trading is a inferior occupation in feudalism idea. So Beijing is a consumption city with most of imperial noblemen living idlely. Various living scence mostly assemble in hutong. Courtyard with building on the four sides (Siheyuan) is a miniature of the living status and social culture of that period. At the end of Qing Dynasty, hutong went from prosperity to wane.
This is a natural development trend of Beijing hutong with the collapse of feudalism. Manpower pedicab with red peak and black body is main traffic tool of visiting hutong. If in the three seasons of spring, summer and autumn, tourists can enjoy folk living sights of the two sides ol Shishahai by taking old manpower boat besides by taking manpower pedicab lor sightseeing. At nightfall, people light lamp on the boat, and there is a lady with traditional stringed and woodwind instrument plays gentle and fair-sounding folk music on the fore. When boat goes through Silver Bridge and arrives at back sea, tourists could taste tea and cake, or have a barbecue dine together on the boat. When the sun falls and night curtain raises, tourists on the boat light paper river lamps and put them into water and make a wish to God murmuredly.
The lamps float on the surface of water and move with stern, suddenly bright and suddenly dark just like Qin Huai River of Tang and Song Dynasties. It is specially recommended to visit hutong before sunset and at nightfall in summer. Because there are abundant and busy folk activities along the two sides of Shi Sha Hai and the lives ol common people in hutong is very active and various.
Recommended sightseeing route by pedicab
1. Taking pedicab and go to the Drum Tower - Visiting the Drum Tower - Taking pedicab - Shi Sha Hai - Silver Ingot Bridge - Visiting hutong and hutong family - Take boat and
return to the back door of Beihai (North Sea).
2. Take boat in front sea - Front sea - Silver ingot bridge - Back sea - Visiting hutong and hutong family - Taking pedicab - Visiting Gong Wang Residence Garden- Taking pedicab and return the following sights.
You can choose to interlude with hutong travel.
24. Former Residence of Mei Lanfang ( 0.5-hour trip )
No. 9 Huguosi Street, Xicheng District
Take No. 13, 107 or 111 buses and get off at North Sea Back Gate
Established in October 1986, Mei Lanfang Memorial Hall is a typical courtyard with building on the four sides (Siheyuan) in Beijing, occupying an area of 700 square meters. There hangs the stele of "Mei Lanfang Memorial Hall" inscripted by Deng Xiaoping on the red-painted gate. Mei Lanfang passed his final 10 years in this quiet and comfortable yard before he died in 1961.
25. Beijing Zoo (1.5-hour trip )
No. 137 Xi Wai Street, Xicheng District
Take No. 111, 105 tramcar or No. 7, 25,19, 45, 27 bus and get off at Zoo stop
The ticket price of Hie low season is 10 Yuan, the price of the united ticket is 15 Yuan. The ticket price of the high season is 15 Yuan, the price of the united ticket is 20 Yuan. The price of the student ticket and the old man ticket is half.
Beijing Zoo situated in Xi Zhi Men Wai is the zoo opened earliest and owning the most kinds of animals in China. It occupies an area of about 90 hectares and raises over 650 kinds and 5000 exhibit animals. Here originally is the imperial demesne ol Ming Dynasty and personal residence of Qing Dynasty imperial nation. During Guangxu, it was opened to foreign and established agriculture experiment plant and occupied three hectares. II imitates German Hamburger Zoo establishment and was originally called "Thousand Animal Zoo". In 1955, it was formally named as Beijing Zoo, and large-scale reconstruction have been taken. Nowaday Beijing Zoo has established friendly link witli more than 50 countries and districts in the world. Here you can enjoy rare and strange animals from the world and experience the greatenss and surprise from natural world.
26. Beijing Aquarium (1.5-hour trip )
Take No. 16, 933 bus or No. 102,103,105 tramcar and get off at Zoo stop.
The ticket price is 100 Yuan and the price of student, old man and soldiers in active service is 50 Yuan.
Beijing Aquarium is located in Beijing Zoo and it is the largest inland Aquarium. The whole construction area of the hall is 42,000 square meters and virescence area is eighty thousand square meters. The Aquarium is divided into 6 different exhibit halls, namely Yulin Qiguan, Chu Mo Chi, Haidi Huanyou, Shake Hall, Jing Tun Wan and Ocean Showplace. The hall exhibits over ten thousand fish, including about thousand kinds of ocean viewing fish and fresh water viewing fish. Except viewing fish, Beijing Aquarium owns a strong ocean animal showing group, including the animals of dolphin, cetacean and sea lion.
27. Guang Ji Temple ( 40-minute trip )
On the west of Xi Si road gate, No. 25 Fu Cheng Men Nei Street
Take No. 13,101,102,103,105, 823, 812 or 814 bus and get off at Xi Si stop Q Free ticket
Guang Ji Temple is famous large-size temple of Buddhism. The temple was constructed in Jin Dynasty. There are rare cultural relic in the temple and still presented gift of many Buddhism areas. In 1993, Guang Ji Temple became the place of China Buddhism Association and activity center of national Buddhism affairs.
28. White Cloud Temple (1-hour trip)
3 Bai Yun Road, Xicheng District
From May lo September, operation time is from 8:30 to 16:30. From October to April, operation lime is from 8:30 to 16:00
Take No. 320 (branch) or 414 and get off at Baiyunguan or take No. 114, 308 or 937 and get off at Bai Yun Road stop and then go south.
White Cloud Temple (Baiyunguan) is the first Buddhist monastery
ol Taoism Quanzhen, is also the ancestral temple of Long Men
Group, renamed as Baiyunguan at the beginning ol Ming Dynasty.
It is the key cultural relic protection unil ol Beijing. The hall ol now
existing Baiyuanguan was rebuilt in Ming and Qing Dynasties.
When you enter the mountain gale, you can lind it is divided into
middle and east and west three roads and back yard. It possesses
magnificent scale, and in the middle there are Ling Gong Palace,
Yu Huang Palace, Lao Lu Hall, Qiu Zu Hall, San Qing Cabinet, Si
Yu Palace and the Drum & Bell Building. There is Cang Jing
Building on the east of San Qing Cabinet. The oast part is Nan Ji
Palace, Dou Mu Cabinet and Luo Gong Tower. The west part is
Lu Zu Palace, Eight-Immortals Palace, Yuanjun Palace, Wenchang
Palace, Yuanchen Palace, and Temple Yard etc. There are two
stone inscription of lections, Dao De and Yin Fu, embedded in the right and loll walls ol the Temple Yard.
I he backyard is named as Yunji Yard and also named small Fabled Abode ol Immortals. Jielai and Yunji
Rooms are the center of the yard with artificial hills alternate with each other There are winding corridors,
Yunhua Immortals' Room, Youhe Pavilion, Miaoxiang Pavilion and Tuiju Building scattering among the
yard. Green trees form large area of shade, which is fresh and tranquil and make you target to return.
29. White Pagoda Temple ( 40-minute trip )
No. 171 Fuchengmennei Street, Xicheng District
Take No. 13, 101,102,103, 823, 812 or 814 bus and get off at White Tower Temple stop. Ten Yuan. The student ticket is 5 Yuan.
I here is a world famous and huge Tibetan-style white Pagoda in Ihe White Pagoda Temple, which is the earliest and largest Tibetan-style Pagoda now existing in China. Emperor Qianlong once commanded to display a block of things tor guarding the tower in it. The guarding things are all rare treasures ol Buddhism. The design style of the top of the Temple also exclusively exists in China. The White Pagoda is 51 meters high. The temple body is like a bowl standing upside down and it has 13 collars that represent the highest rank of Buddhism. The diameter of Tian Pan is nearly 10 meters and is 2 meters high. There is a small Lama Tower in the peak of Tianpan, which is exclusively owned in present Tibetan-style Pagoda. The White Dagoba model is displayed in the center of the Hall and also exhibits the tower guarding treasures. The inscribed board "Yi Zhu Xin Jing" bestowed by Emperor Qianlong was originally placed in the second Hall. Now the second hall is used as the Tibetan Ten-thousand-Buddha-Figure Art Exhibit. There exhibit almost 10,000 Tibetan Buddha figures in the hall and the number is enormous and the age is long.
Chongwen District is the birthplace ot Beijing South-City Culture. Although the area is small, many famous scenic spots assemble here. Chongwen District is a gathering place of traditional art wares manufacturers from ancient times, such as enamel, jade ware, engraving, woolen birds and silk flowers. The time-honourned brand Longguxiu Embroidery Store is the largest and oldest silk store in Beijing. The 2 senior authentic roast duck stores, Quanjude and Bianyifang, also locate here. The long and deep historical origin brings the romantic and colorful tourism culture.
30. Temple of Heaven (1.5-hour trip)
the east of Tianqiao, Chongwen District
Take 6, 20, 39 buses or No. 106, 120, tramcar and get off at Tian Tan stop. The ticket pric is 5 Yuan. Park ticket is 15 Yuan.
The Temple of Heaven was originally built in the eighteenth year of Ming Yong Le (1420), occupying an area of 273 hectares. It was rebuilt and reconslructed during the period of Emperor Jiajing in Ming Dynasty and Emperor Qianlong in Qing Dynasty. The building is magnificent and environment is solemn and respectful. It was Ihe place where the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties worshipped Heaven and prayed lor good harvests. The north pari of the temple looks like a roundness and the south is looks like a square, which means thai the heaven is round and the earth is square. There are two temple walls around the four sides of the Temple, which divided Ihe Temple into Ihe inner part and the outer pari. Main buildings assemble in the inner part, including the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (Qiniandian), the Hall of Imperial Zenith (Huangqiandian), the Circular Mound (Huanqiu), the Imperial Vault of Heaven (Huangqiongyu), the Palace of Abstinence (Zhaigong), Beamless Hall (Wuliangdian), Long Corridor (Changlang) etc. There is also Ihe Echo Wall (Huiyinbi), Thriple-sound Stone (Sanyinshi), Seven Star Stone (Qixingshi) etc. Temple of Heaven combines the architeclure technology ol Ming and Qing Dynasties together. It is a rare Chinese ancient architecture and the largest sacrifice complex in the world. In 1998, the United Nations Educational Scientific and Culture Organization listed it into the "Directory of World Legacy".
31. Longtan Park (1-hour trip)
No. 8 Long Tan Road, Chong Wen District
Take No. 6,8,12.35,41,60,116 or 807 bus and get off at Beijing Amusement Park stop
Long Tan Park occupies an area of 49.2 hactares, including 19.47 hektares water surface. The lake bank with weeping willow winds for over 3700 meters. The hills and islands alternate with each other in the lake and the lake water is so clean. The park is divided into six scenic areas. Long Yin Pavilion Scenic Area is the unique on-water pavilion in the northern parks. Long Tan Scenic Area is composed of 14 hills. Letter-Dragon and Stone Forest Scenic Area is piled up with natural hill stones with stone tablet standing everywhere. Here assemble a lot of letter "Dragon" written by lamous calligraphers and celebrities from Qin and Han Dynasties to modern times. Slim and graceful Lotus is full of the pond in July and August every year in Lotus Pond and Flower Island Scenic Area. The Dragon Gate Scenic Area is the water-entrance of the Park. A couple of dragonhead, which are made in white marble, extend from the stonewall of the Dragon Gate. Water gushed out of the dragonhead How into the dragon pond surrounded by rare stones. Wanliutang Scenic Area includes dragon flying in the air as well as well made Nine-Dragon. It integrates culture and garden together
32. Mosque in Huashi (1-hour trip)
Originally built in 1415, Mosque in Flower Market is one of the four ancient Islam mosques in Beijing with an area of 1,797 square meters. The now existing architecture Worship Hall is the largest architecture in the temple. There were texts of Koran on the right and lell wall of the Hall, which has not in existence now. An Imperial Edicl Pavilion lied to Ihe opposite of Ihe Hall, where kept the Stone Tablet of Emperor Yongzheng originally. Now the tablet has been moved out. There are also Jinggutang, bathing room, Xunyue Platform, Classics Room and Living Room in the Temple. Now except Xun Yue Platform, the oilier architectures are kept integratedly. The now reserved cultural relics in the temple include a "Moslem" wooden inscribed board with the inscription of Prince Yu in the second year of Emperor Kangxi in Qing Dynasty (1663) and a "the Unique" inscribed board in the fifty-second year of Emperor Qianlong (1787). The two boards hang on the walls of the two sides of the open hall. Song Jiaoren and Cai Yuanpei often assemble here for holding meetings secretly during the period ol the Revolution ol 1911. They support the idea of "to unite the five nations together and develop China cooperatively" proposed by Dr Sun Yat-Sen, and disclose the restore-the-feudalism plot ol Yuan Shikai. On July 7,1912, Chinese largest Muslim group with the most inlluence-China Islam Club was established here. It is the birthplace of Muslim patriotic movement of modern limes.
33. Arrow Tower in Gate Zheng Yang (0.5-hour trip)
On the north of Qian Men Wai Street
Take subway or No. 17, 22,20 bus and get off at Qian Men stop or take No. 1 or 4 bus and get off at Tian An Men stop
10 Yuan and the price of the student ticket is 5 Yuan.
It is also called Qian Men Arrow Tower and was established in 1439. The architecture formality is brick fort and the city board is 12 meters high. The door opening emerges as arch style, which opens at the middle of the city board. It is the only city gate with door opening in the arrow tower among the nine gates of the Inner City, which are used as specialized path for the vehicles of Emperor and Empress. The arrow tower has 4 floors. There are 94 watch windows on the three sides of east, south and west, which are used for shooting arrows. The arrow tower became a tourist attraction after 1915. In 1976, earthquake happened in Tang Shan and arrow building was destroyed. Beijing cultural relic department in charge repaired comprehensively. 1990, it was formally opened to tourists.
Xuanwu District located on the south west of Beijing has 3000 years' history. Jin Zhong Du ol 6 states is located in Xuanwu District. As foreign city of Ming Dynasty, it formed its own special geographic situation and deep history deposition. Today, here still is commerce and culture center with the densest flowing populace and the most frequent commerce and trade activities. Old stores of Tong Ren Tang, Nei Lian Sheng, Liu Bi Ju and Zhang Yi Yuan are updating, and modern mansion is extraordinarily splendour. Not only condense historical essence, but also show new appearance. Brilliant traditional culture of China nation and city mien of new times shine upon each other and form a unique beautiful sight with Xuan Wu characteristic and gestates numerous civilian culture, commerce culture and opera culture of old Beijing and forms unique culture of south of Xuanwu District.
34. Beijing Grand View Garden (2-hour trip)
No. 12 Nan Cai Yuan Street, Xuan Wu Dsitrict
From 8:30 to 16:30.
Take No. 19,59,61,351 or 819 and get off at Dayuan Park stop
Nowaday Grand View Garden is an archaizing architecture newly constructed according to the description of Cao Xueqin. On the premises in accordance with lime spiril and architecture style of original works, we still can track the sincerily of original appearance of red building. Here are main sights of TV series "A Dream of Red Mansions". There are pavilions inside Ihe park, the corridor is sinuous, the flower and tree is flourishing, and the green wave is poppling. The elaborate works assemble, Ihe content is abundant, the taste is elegant and people can deeply know the broad and deep of "A Dream of Red Mansions".
35. Taoranting Park (1.5-hour trip )
No. 19 Tai Ping Slreef, Xuanwu District
Take No. 40, 59, 102,343,603 or 819 bus and get off at Tai Ping Street slop
Taoranting Park was established in 1952.11 is a new city gardens combining classic architecture and modern gardens arl and exlruding "pavilion culture" of China nation. The famous Taoranting inside the park originally was the three-room house 1695,established by the Doctor of Ministry of Works of Qing Dynasty, Jiang Zao. He picked up the sentence of Bai Juyi, "waiting chrysanthemum ripe and drinking with the gentleman in Taoranting" and named Tao Ran Ting. So we can say that Taoranting is a witness place of history events and ils history significance is great.You can enjoy Ihe famous Pavilion at a near distance.
36. Fayuan Temple (1-hour trip)
No. 7 Fayuansi Front Street, Xuanwu District
Take No. 61 and gel off at Niu Street South Gate, go along Heng Xi Street to Jiao Zi Hutong and then go east
Fayuan Temple was established in Tang Dynasty. It was rebuilt in the 12 year of Emperor Yongzheng in Qing Dynasty (A.D. 1734) and begun to use the nowadays name from then on. There are 6 steles of Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty, including Source of Dharma Temple Stele carved in the 12 year of Emperor Yongzheng in Qing Dynasty that is a temple history of Fayuan Temple. On the beam of Guan Yin Cabinet, there hangs "Cun Cheng" stele inscripted by Qing Dynasty Kang Xi emperor for monk having seals of Source of Dharma Temple. Chang Jing Building is also named Rosewood Qianfo Palace and final palace on the axis of Source of Dharma Temple and there are two stories. There is a gingko tree with hundreds of years old and two Chinese flowering crabapples planted in Qian Long period. There display Zi Guang Tan Qian Fo and many rare Buddhism cultural relics in the yard.
Chaoyang District is the largest suburb and layout district of Beijing and it is a district with the most minorities and the highest travel revenue. Developed traffic network, remote history culture and the successful application for holding Olympic games make Chaoyang District change quickly and everyday you can get a surprising feeling.
37. Chaoyang Park ( 2-hour trip)
No. 1 Nongzhanguan (National Agricultu District
Take No. 35,43, 302 or 115 bus and get off at Chaoyang Park stop
300 Mu larger than Summer Palace, Chaoyang Park is the largest park in Beijing. Joy World inside the park combines the function of high technology, leisure and sports, its Parachute Tower is 67 meters high, the tallest in China, its bungee jumping tower is 75 meters high, also the tallest in China.
Exhibition Center) South Road, Chaoyang
38. Underwater World of Blue Zoo (1.5-hour trip)
South Gate of Beijing Worker's Stadium
From 9:00 to 18:00 on Monday to Thursday. From 9:00 to 20:00 on Friday to Sunday
Take No. 110, 113,115,118,120 or 403 bus and get off at Gongli slop. The price of the student ticket is 50 Yuan. The price of the family ticket is one 150 Yuan.
Underwater World of Blue Zoo in the Worker's Stadium is located under the artificial lake of Beijing Worker's Stadium and the architecture area is 7800 square meters and Beijing first aquarium. It possesses Asian longest 120 meters Yakeli transparent underwater tunnel and people can enjoy sea sight of the main pool. Underwater World of Blue Zoo helps you to know and enjoy ocean and know the secret of sea world through high technology of education and amusement.
39. Chinese Ethnic Culture Park (2-hour trip)
Minzuyuan Road, Chaoyang District
Take buses No.380,406 or Te 2 and get off at Tiyuzhongxin Ximen (West Gate of Sports Center) stop, or take buses No. 386 or 406 and get off at Beichenlu stop General admission for north and south parts of the Park: 90 Yuan; separate admission: 60 Yuan; discounts for students, elders,
disabled persons with relevant ID cards.
Locating at southwest of the Asian Games Village and occupying an area of more than 40 hectares, Zhonghua Nationalities Garden is a large base of nationality culture integrating the traditional architecture, folk customs, singing and dancing, arts and crafts as well as folk cuisine of Chinese ethnic minorities. In the north part of the Park which has been open now, there are 16 scenic spots of ethnic groups including the nationally largest iron-cast sculpture and emulational tropic banyan woods, underwater solution cave, earth woods, "swirling dragon" waterfall, Ali Mountain God Wood, Lunyuan rock paintings, etc. While visiting ethnic villages, tourists can also enjoy and take part in such performances as ethnic singing and dancing, festival celebration, production, skill competition and craft.
40. Honglingjin Park (1-hour trip)
5 Houbalizhuang, Chaoyang District
Take No.9 bus and get off at Jintailu, then go west along Chaoyang North Road or you can get there by No.611 or 712 buses
Founded in 1958, Major scenic spots include: the Theme Square of the Song of Red Scarl, with an area of 3000 square meters; on the north of the Square stands the Theme Sculpture ol the Song of Red Scarl, and sculptures of such heroes as Lei Feng, Liu Hulan, Liu Wenxue, Zhuo Ya, Little Radish, Zhang Jinhui, Luo Zhiqun and Deng Jindi stand on each side of the Square where grow pines and cypresses. The whole square is grand and solemn; the Gingko Square: mainly used for tourists' activities. In this area grow 27 large-sized gingkoes, and a 1920-square-meter natural terraced llower belt. Viewed from opposite shore of the lake, it's too beautilul to be absorbed all al once; the Botanic Area: in the east part of the east lake. On the wide lawn that lollows the physiognomy of the lake stand such ornamentals as cedars, Chinese pines, gingkoes, silktree, redbud, flowering peach, korean weigela and other shrubs. In the south part of this area.
41. Temple of Sun Park (30-minute trip)
Ritan Road, Chaoyang District
Get there by buses No1,4,43,28, 57,120 or tramcar bus No. 109.
Temple of Sun Park, also named Chaori Temple (Worshiping Sun Temple), located at the southeast of Chaoyangmenwai, Beijing, is a location for emperors of Ming and Qing Dynasties to sacrifice the Sun, the God of Brightness. It was enclosed and built in the Jiaqing 9th Year of Ming Dynasty (1530). Prior to the founding of New China, most of the ancient buildings are destroyed, with the cultural relics stolen. Temple of Sun got into a piece of ruins. In 1951, it was expanded to the Temple of Sun Park covering an area of more than 20 hectares by the order of Beijing People's Government. The south and north gales as well as exhibition show windows were built, together with the Mudanyuan (Peony Garden), Qinghui Ting (Clear Sunshine Pavilion), Quchi Shengchun (Green Pool) Garden, "Sacrificing the Sun" fresco, elegant "Xiheya House", classical southwest scenic spot, gallery, etc. The pulled down Sacrificial Temple was also restored. Now, the Temple of Sun Park gets more beautiful and gorgeous with the adumbral trees, trim road surface, simple, elegant and serene scenes.
Haidian, meaning Sea & Shallow Lake in English, is named for its much water. Just as a result of this, the green and large Fu Hai (Big Lake ol Good Fortune) and the "Yuquan Baotu" (Baotu Jade Spring) stay here. Also just as a result of this, enjoying the beautiful scenery brought by mountains, water, forest and fountain, Haidian retains a great number of vast temples and royal gardens without parallel in history and in future. In the Ming and Qing Dynasties, construction of gardens in Haidian reached a period of great prosperity. The present campuses of Beijing University and Tsinghua University were just the scenic gardens winning universal praise in Ming Dynasty -Shao Yuan (Spoon Park) and Qinghua Yuan (Tsinghua Park); "though man made but seemed God created" "three hills and five gardens" are on the scroll of fame. Today's Haidian has been the pioneering position initiating hi-tech as Zhongguancun-China's Silicon Valley is just here. Experience the glamour of modern hi-tech culture in the dynamic Haidian.
Water system in Beijing
Two marine traffic lines, Kunyu River Marine Traffic Line and Changhe River Traffic Line, have currently been put into service In Beijing.
Changhe River section
Changhe River section,from Kunming Lake to Beizhanhouhu Lake, is 9 km long, there are Summer Palace (dock), Changhewan (dock), Longevity Temple (called mini Palace Museum of West ol Beijing), Ziyuwan (dock), ancient style architectural complex, ship lock, Zizhuyuan Park, Beijing Library, Beijing Zoo, Beijing Aquarium. Beijing Exhibition Hall, relics of Maizhong Bridge, Guangyuanzha, Wuta Temple and Gaoliang Bridge along the river. Changhe River was originally a waterway used by feudal imperial kinsmen to travel to west ol Beijing for summer holidays, there was a saying in Ming and Qing Dynasty that "Enjoying pine trees in Temple of Heaven and enjoying willow trees along Changhe River".
Travel services of this marine traffic line include: sightseeing, evening water tour, onboard parties and other water activities.
Beizhanhouhu Summer Palace: 9:30,13:00,15:30 Summer Palace Beizhanhouhu: 10:45,14:15
E3 Summer Palace Dock: Location: Outside South Gate of Summer Palace, visitors can arrive by Bus NO. 374, Beizhanhouhu Dock: location: behind Beijing Exhibition Hall Theatre, Beijing Exhibition Hall Stop by Bus. No.102,103 and 105
Kunyu River Section
Kunyu River Section, from Kunming River lo Yuyanlan Park, is 10 km long, there are Summer
Palace (dock), Changhewan (dock), Linglong Park, Enji Garden, Binjiao Garden (dock), CCTV
Tower (dock), Yuyantan (Bayi Lake dock), Water Park and Song Qingling Children's Park along
the line. Section from Yuyuantan to Gaobeidian Lake (starting point of Beijing-Hangzhou Canal)
connecting sight spots like Baiyun Taoist Temple, Tianning Temple, Grand View Garden,
Temple of Heaven and Longtan Lake is under schedule; total length of this section will be 36
Bayi Lake Summer Palace: 8:00 9:00 10:00 13:00 15:00 16:30
Summer Palace Bayi Lake: 9:30 10:05 11:05 14:05 17:30
3 Bayi Lake Dock is located in west side of "Water Park" inside Yuyuantan Park; visitors can arrive at East Gate of Yuyuantan Park by Bus No. 103 and 114; South Gate by Bus No.: 414 and 65; Military Museum Stop by subway; West Gate by Bus No. 300, 323 and 374 (Bayi Lake Bridge); North Gate by Bus No. 121,335 and 336
Price of one-way ticket of the tour will be RMB 60 Yuan and return ticket will be RMB 80 Yuan
Service is available from April to November, business hour: 8:30 17:30, one voyage per hour
42. Summer Palace (3~5-hour trip)
Yiheyuan (Summer Palace) Road, Haidian District
Take buses No.726, 826, 718, 332,331 or 737 and get off at Yiheyuan Dongmen (Summer Palace East Gate)
20 Yuan (in low season), 30 Yuan (in peak season), general admission: 40 Yuan(in low season), 50 Yuan (in peak season)
Situated at the northwest suburb
of Beijing, the Summer Palace
was originally a royal garden and
a temporary dwelling place for
emperors of Oing Dynasty. Its
predecessor was the Garden of
Clear Ripples (Qingyiyuan)
started in1750andburned down
by the British and French allied
troops in 1860, In 1886, Empress
Dowager Cixi embezzled navy
outlays and other funds in the
reconstruction and renamed the park as Summer Palace in 1888,
Summer Palace mainly consists ol Longevity Hill (Wanshoushan) and Kunming Lake, covering
an area ol 290.8 hectares, of which 3/4 is covered by water. Hill- and water-surrounded palaces,
temples and garden buildings are divided into three areas: the palace area, with the Hall of
Benevolence and Longevity (Renshoudian) as the center, whore Cixi held court Irom behind a
screen in most lime ol her late years; the residence area, with Yulan Hall, Leshou Hall and Yiyun
Hall as main bodies, where the emperor and empress lived before death; the lour area,
integrating landscape, buildings, llower and plants, a place ol tour and rest lor rulers ol thai time.
As the building center in the whole Palace, the Tower ol Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge) stands
highly relying on the Hill and facing to the water. The water surface ol Kunming Lake is spacious
like sky, charming, gentle and appealing. In the vast mist-covered water stand the magic hills and
wonder islands; the Seventeen-arch Bridge spans the green water like a rainbow.
The West Dike
of the lake runs Irom north to south, forming a God-given scene together with six graceful
bridges. Soughing of the wind in the pines pass Irom the Back Hill (Houshan) and Back Lake
(Houhu). Business on the palace market is flourishing. Towering palaces shine with the hill and
water. Group peaks ol West Hill (Xishan) and the Jade Spring (Yuquanshan) are even taken as
the background. With masterly design and artistic architecture and integrating the essence of
Chinese garden arts, Ihe Summer Palace has a title ol "Imperial Garden Museum". It is a
imperial garden most completely reserved with richest landscapes and concentrated buildings.
43. Ruins of Yuanmingyuan (2-hour trip)
Tsinghua West Road, Haidian District
Take buses No.380, 406 or Te 2 and gel off at Tiyuzhongxin Ximen (west gate of the Sports Center), or take buses No.386 or 406 and get off at Beichenlu
10 Yuan; general admission: 25 Yuan; half price for students.
Ruins of Yuanmingyuan is adjacent to the Summer Palace, covering an area of 346.7 hectares and composed of Yuanming, Changchun and Yichun gardens. Initiated in Kangxi 48th year of Qing Dynasty, it was a large-sized royal garden emperors of Qing Dynasty established and operated in 150 years. It became ruins gradually after the wild maraud and burning by British and French allied troops in October 1860. Through decades of refitting after the founding of the New China, a dozen ol sites have been excavated and neatened at present, with such sites of the new gate of Yichun Park and European-style maze in the Changchun Park rebuilt. The mountain shape and water system have been back to the original historical style and features generally. There's vast Fu Hai (the Big Lake of Good Fortune), as well as amiable lake, even the stream running among Hills and rivers. So the crude charm of natural water system is remained, feaTouring series of tourism & cultural activities in spring, summer, autumn and winter.
44. Beijing University and Tsinghua University
Along the northward road running dozens of km. from Black Bamboo (Zizhu) Park in northwestern Beijing spread colleges and universities. Even bus stops are named after them. On this road, college students go in a hurry with bags on their shoulders. This is the University City equally famous as Cambridge and Oxford, and the place ol China's future. The history of University Cily can be traced back to 1898 when Emperor Guangxu of Qing Dynasty ordered to found the first modern university of China Jingshi Da Xue Tang (Jingshi University), or the predecessor of today's Beijing University. The structure of this university was in a western style. It offered Germany, French, liberal arts, agricultural, technical, business and other subjects. Since then, more than 70 colleges and universities including Tsinghua were founded, forming the scale of today's university city.
Many major changes in the neoteric and modern history of China look place here. Such scenic spots in the University City as He Tang Yue Se (Moonlight over the Lotus Pond) and Shui Mu Tslinghua (Water & Wood Tsinghua) together with notables' traces will enable you experience the cultural details ol the ancient emperors' capital Beijing much belter.
45. Beijing Botanical Garden (1-hour trip)
Xiangshan South Road, Haidian District
Take No. 318 bus at Pingguoyuan subway or take buses No.330,360 or 904 at Summer Palace stop and get off at Wofosi stop.
5 Yuan, Greenhouse admission: 50 Yuan.
Close to the Xishan Lying Buddha Temple (Wolosi), Beijing Botanical Garden covers an area of 400 hectares. It's a place of collection, exhibition and reservation of botanical resources, integrating such functions as scientific research, scientific popularization and tourism. It also includes the Miniature Garden, Greenhouse Flower Zone, Low-temperature Greenhouse and Botanical Exhibition Greenhouse. Over 5000 varieties more than 560,000 trunks of plant are introduced or planted in the Garden. Scenic spots and historical sites include Wo Fo Si (Lying Buddha Temple), Ying Tao Gou (Cherry Gully), Longjiao Temple Relics, "Dec.29 Movement" Memorial Pavilion, Liang Qichao's Graveyard, Cao Xueqin Memorial, etc. Periodical activities in the Garden include Peach Blossom Festival in April and City's Flower (China Rose, chrysanthemum) Festival in September.
46. Fragrant Hills Park (2-hour trip)
At the foot of Xishan (West Hill), Haidian District
No. 360 bus from Zoo to the Fragrant Hills; No.904 bus from Xizhimen to Fragrant Hills; No.333 bus from the Garden of Perfection and Brightness (Yuanmingyuan) to Fragrant Hills; No.318 bus from Pingguoyuan to Fragrant Hills
10 Yuan, Cable way: 30 Yuan
Situated in the west suburb of Beijing, Fragrant Hills Park is more than 20km from the center of Beijing and covers an area of 160 hectares. The highest peak is 557 m high above sea level. Its shape is like an incense burner, so it's called the "Xiang Lu Feng" (Incense Burner Peak) or popularly named "Gui Jian Chou "(Ghost Worries to Meet It). Fragrant Hills is its shortened name. Enjoying a long history, Fragrant Hills Park was initiated in 1186. Emperors of Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties built temporary headquarters here where they could have a short stay when they went on a tour. There are dozens of scenic spots and historical sites in Fragrant Hills Park, including: "Xishan Fine Snow" (Xi Shan Qing Xue) which is one of the top eight landscapes of Beijing; Green Cloud Temple (Bi Yun Si), Five-hundred-arhat Hall, Buddha's Warrior Attendant's Throne Tower, Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, Zhao Temple, Jianxin Room (Jianxin Zhai), Shuangqing Villa, Eyeglass Lake, Joy Garden (Huan Xi Yuan), Yuhua Peak (Yuhua Xiu), etc. Exuberant woods cover the Park. There are more than 260,000 trees of different varieties, including 5800-plus Class I and Class II ancient and famous trees. More than 96 percent of the Park is covered by plants. Fragrant Hills Red Leaves are well known home and abroad, once appraised as one of the "New 16 Landscapes of Beijing".
47. Lying Buddha Temple (40-minute trip)
South foot of Shouan Hill, Xiangshan Hill, Haidian District
Take No.318 bus at Pingguoyuan or buses No.333,360 or 904 and get off at Wofosi stop
Lying Buddha Temple, one of the oldest temples in
Beijing with a history ol 1300 years over. It was initiated
in the Emperor Zhenguan era ol Tang Dynasty. In the
reconstruction in 1321, 250,000kg copper was used to
cast the existing largest lying Buddha in one year. In
1734, it was renamed as Shi Fang Pu Jue Temple, locally
the "Lying Buddha Temple". In the Lying Buddha Hall,
the core building of the Temple, the copper-made lying Buddha holds his head in his right palm,
with his led hand put on his letl leg relaxedly. Totally 5 meters long, the Buddha is calm and at
ease. Around three sides of it stand 12 mud sculptures ol his disciples that are called Twelve
Yuan Jue. On the side of the Lying Buddha lay several pairs ol big shoes prepared by emperors
of Qing Dynasty lor tear that Buddha would wake up and get down from the bed.
48. CCTV Launching Tower (1.5-hour trip)
11 West 3rd Ring Central Road, Haidian District
Take buses No.300 or 336 and get off at Hanglianqiao slop, or lake No.374 bus and get off at Zhongyangdianshita slop.
50 Yuan; Park admission 68 Yuan; children under 1.4m and elders over 60 enjoy a preferential price of 25 Yuan.
Covering an area of 15.4 hectares and 405 meters high, the CCTV Launching Tower is the third highest tower in China, the member tower of the World High Tower Association, the member tower of China Radio & TV Association High Tower Commission. It is a synthetic building integrating radio & TV transmission, tourism and sightseeing, food & beverage and recreation. Spacious trestle square, white-marble-made circle corridor, palace lantern-shaped tower, praying palace-style tower base, you will be enchanted and forget to return. On the tower, there's the 242 m-high "Flying Cloud Hall" used for grand celebrations. On the 238 m-high open overseeing flat roof, you can have a panoramic view at the beautiful landscape of Beijing. In the 225m-high magnilicent indoor overlooking hall is the Flying Cloud Tea House where you can get a bird's-eye view at the new changes of Capital Beijing while drinking a cup of tea. The nightscape of lighting of the tower is grand, elegant, majestic, glowing and vivid, adding a more flowery and colorful scene to Beijing.
49. Beijing Film Travel City (2-hour trip)
77 North 3rd Ring Central Road, Haidian District
Take buses No.16, 22, 300, 302, 331, 367 or387 and get off at Beitaipingzhuang stop, go west for 300 meters on the north of the road
60 Yuan for adults. 40% off for groups. Half price for student groups
Beijing Film Tourism City is a new sight spot integrating tourism, film and TV services and culture & entertainment.Film art and basic knowledge will be demonstrated through special effects synthesis, analogue sound of action effect, stars' cartoon exhibition, film stills and properties fair, etc. The film & TV location- street of folk customs and practices of Ming and Qing Dynasties: a
reproduction of the appearance of ancient streets of old Beijing. More than 300 films and TV plays have been shot here, including Camel Xiangzi (Luo Tuo Xiang Zi), Tea House (Cha Guan), Past Things in the Southern City (Cheng Nan Jiu Shi), Prince Xiang Yu and his Concubine (Ba Wang Bie Ji), Hunchback Prime Minister Liu (Zai Xiang Liu Luo Guo), King of Adventure (Mao Xian Wang). Tourists can see stars' performance with your own eyes.
50. Pacific Underwater World Museum (1.5-hour trip)
11 West 3rd Ring Central Road, Haidian District
9:00-17:00 from Monday to Friday, 8:30-17:30 on Saturday and Sunday Ipp Take buses No.300 or 336 and get off at Hangtianqiao stop, or take No.374 bus and get off at Zhongyangdianshita stop.
60 Yuan for adults; 40 Yuan for students, elders and handicapped men. 50 Yuan for group visitors.
Situating under the CCTV Launching Tower ol Beijing, it has a building area of 7000 square meters approximately. With the main purpose of halobios exhibition, it is a synthetic modern fair center integrating popular science education sightseeing and entertainment. It was given the title "China Ocean Society Beijing Ocean Popular Science Education Base" by China Ocean Society. The total volume
01 the aquarium is more than 4000 square meters. There are hundreds of halobios, larger ones are lierce sharks and small ones are colorful garibaldis. The aquarium applies high-tech fresh water sallificalion system and submarine life automatic maintenance system.
51. Yuyuan Pond Park (2-hour trip)
North of Military Museum, Fuxing Road, Haidian District
Take metro or buses No.1,4,21, 57 or 337 and get off al Junshibowuguan (Military Museum) stop, then go northward; or take No.114 bus and get off Yuyuantan stop 2 yuan. Half price for students.
Earlier in the Jin Dynasty, the Park had been a famous tourism resort in the northwest suburb of the ~" capital. Upon the founding of New China, Beijing Municipal Government gave the lormal name "Yuyuan Pond Park" in 1960. Through more than three decades of construction, it has become a municipal-level synthetic park situating in the downtown area but enjoying natural charm and rurality. Whenever in spring, excellent varieties of 3000 trees of cheery blossom from home and abroad gather in the cheery blossom garden. Every tree is covered with red or deep red and while colors, llowery and dazzling. Extremely beautiful and gorgeous cherry blossoms in spring and chrysanthemums in autumn contrast with green pines and cypresses, green lawn as well as simple and natural buildings, attracting thousands of tourists.
52. Black Bamboo Park (1-hour trip)
CE3 45 Baishiqiao, Xizhimenwai
Take buses No. 114, 300, 323, 334, 374, 811, 814 or 817 and get off at Baishiqiao stop 2 Yuan
It was initiated in 1953. The name of the Park is derived from the Black Bamboo Courtyard in a temple of Ming and Qing Dynasties. It covers an area of more than 46 hectares, ol which 1/3 is covered by water. Nanchang River and Shuangzi Dyke run through the Park. The Park is composed of three lakes, two islands and one bank. It's a garden of natural landscape made by thousands of green bamboo, which is the main attraction.Aiming at spreading the bamboo culture, the Park has a fine and profound design and original layout. Simulated mountains and imitated water are arranged as natural. Jagged rocks are set delicately. Pavilions, corridors, balconies and halls strew at random, with thin and long bamboo, trees and flowers dotted artfully. Everywhere is picturesque, and every season is delightful. In warm spring, bamboo and flowers get full blooming. In hot summer, tourists' boats sail across the lotus pond. In cool autumn, reed catkins get white and maple leaves get read. In cold winter, auspicious snow shines with green pine and bamboo. Bamboo culture festival is held regularly from April to June.
Shijingshan District, "east close to the emperor's court, west
adjacent to the Hunhe Rive", is named alter the Shijingshan Hill
within the District which is usually known as the first fairy mountain
in capital Beijing. With beautiful natural landscapes, precious
humanism resorts, joyful recreation and entertainment centers,
the District enjoy three major locations for relaxation and
entertainment that have their own special features respectively.
So it has been a geomantic treasure place for tourists from ol old.
It contains numerous humanism resorts: on the Shijingshan
Hill that stands on the bank of Yongdinghe River, there are many temples and steles. Each of Ihe Buddhist Scriptures
Balcony (or Liang Jing Tai), Buddhist Scriptures Depository (or
Cang Jing Dong) and Grand Drama Stage has its unique style.
The famous Badachu Park is extraordinarily splendid like the
Charles's Wain among the Lushi, Pingpo and Cuiwei Hills. The
worldly rare Buddhist teeth relics ol Sakyamuni are treasured
up in the Lingguang Temple. The national key reservation
cultural relic - Fahai Temple, which contains top frescos of
Ming Dynasty, reflects like a bright pearl with the elegant and green Panlong Hill. Additionally,
on this beautiful land assemble such natural essences as Babaoshan Revolutionary Memorial
Park, eunuch of Ming Dynasty Tianyi's Grave-the testimony of a downfallen dynasty,
Baoshengxian Bridge, Wanshan Bridge, Cishan Temple (or Charity Temple), Shuangquan
Temple (or Double-Fountain Temple), Cheng'en Temple, etc.
53. Badachu Park (2-hour trip)
Badachu, Shijingshan District
Get off al Yuquanlu subway, then change No.389 bus; or take No.374 bus and get off at Badachu stop. 10 Yuan, 5 Yuan for students
Situating in Beijing Xishan Scenic Spot, Badachu Park is a Buddhist temple garden witli long history, numerous cultural relics and beautiful scenes. For thousands of years, it has been well known for three Hills, eight Buddhist temples and twelve scenes. Cuiwei Hill, Pingpo Hill and Lushi Hill are like chairs with luxuriantly green woods. Chang'an Temple, Lingguang Temple, Sanshan Temple, Dabei Temple, Longquan Temple, Xiangjie Temple, Baozhu Temple and Zhengguo Temple lie among numerous hills and valleys. Ancient trees and rare stones depend on each other. Emperor's steles reflect with pagodas. Especially the Pagoda of Teeth Relics of Sakyamuni is renowned home and overseas due to the teeth of Sakyamuni sacrificed here. The Double Ninth Festival Climbing Meeting has become a major joy for Beijing common people to climb mountains and enjoy the autumn scenery.
54. Fahai Temple (2-hour trip)
Moshikou Street, Shijingshan
TakeNo.311 bus and get off at Moshikou stop, then go westward; or take No.336 bus and get off at Shougang Xiaoqu stop, then go eastward
20 Yuan, half price for students
Started in the Zhengtong 4th year of Ming Dynasty (1439) and completed in Zhengtong 8th year (1443).lts essence is Ihe large Iresco completely preserved in the Daxiong Treasure Palace (Daxiong Bao Dian). The existing 10 frescos are distributed on the facade wall, east and west gable walls and back gable wall, having an area of 236.7 square meters, including the auspicious cloud picture, Buddhists picture, three scholar-officials picture and Brahma picture. What was painted on the pictures include many Bodhisattvas, twenty gods, fairies, animals, flowers, mountains, water and cloud, etc. In terms of painting art, character model and craftwork, Fahai Temple frescos may be the top of Ming Dynasty frescos in China, the existing excellent fresco painted by aulic painters rarely found since Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties, the outstanding representative of Beijing in respect of fresco. Compared with Dunhuan Fresco and Yongle Palace Fresco, each has its strong point. It's comparable favorably with the European renaissance frescos.
The famous tourism scenic spots in Fengtai District include the War of Chinese Resistance against Japan Memorial Hall and the historical site Marco Polo Bridge (Lugouqiao) etc. before 1990s. The World Park opened in 1993, which improved the image in a whole of the tourism industry in Fengtai District. The tourism industry in Fengtai District enters a new stage. The whole district entertained 2,700,000 person-times of domestic and foreign tourists in 1998 and the tourism income is 280,000,000 Yuan. There are more than 10 tourism scenic spots in the whole district at present. 1 of them is key cultural relics protection unit at nation level and 7 of them are key cultural relics protection unit at city level. Fengtai is listed as the first station of Capital Southwest Tour by Beijing Tourism Bureau.
55. World Park (2.5-hour trip)
158Dabaotai, Huaxiang, Fengtai District
The 46.7-hectare park collects more than 100 humanism and natural scenes of 50 world countries. The plane layout is designed according to the domain of five continents. Main sight spots include: Eiffel Tower, Triumphal Arch, White House, World Trade Plaza, Red Square, etc. All sight spots containing different culture of world countries meet together in the park. Tourists will experience the rich and colorful cultures of foreign countries in the tour. Splendid foreign singing and dancing performances as well as impassioned and bright foreign customs parade are demonstrated to people in a vivid form Irani another side.
56. China Anti Japanese War Sculptures Garden (1-hour trip)
101 Wanpingcheng Neijie, Lugouqiao, Fengtai District
The Sculptures Park is situated at the gore lot between Wanpingcheng of Fengtai District and Beijing-Shijiazhuang Expressway. It has an area of 20 hectares. II includes the sculpture group zone reflecting Ihe 8-year bloody war of Chinese resistance against Japan willi the Nalional Anthem; subsiding central square, Wanping city wall, green wood, etc. In 2000, it was appraised as the Beijing Patriotism Education Base, Beijing National Defense Educalion Base; Furthermore, it usually cooperates with visiting groups to carry out theme education activities focused on palriotism.
57. Marco Polo Bridge (Lugouqiao) Wanping Cheng (City) (1.5-hour trip)
Wanpingcheng, Fengtai District
Take buses No.310,309 or 339 and get off at Tanhuangchang (Spring Plant), then go northward
Lugou Bridge: 10 Yuan, 5 Yuan for students; Wanpingcheng: 1.5 Yuan
Over the Yongding River, which is 15km southwest from Tian'anmen, Lugou Bridge is a large stone bridge of multi openings and joint arch existing in Beijing. It has a history of more than 800 years. Such a majestic ancient bridge is rarely found across the country. Lugou Bridge was started from June of Dading 29th year of Jin Dynasty (1189) and completed in March of Mingchang 3rd year (1192). Originally named as "Guangli Bridge" and then renamed as "Lugou Bridge". Also called as "Marco Polo Bridge" overseas. It has a total length of 260m, a width of 9.30m, 10 bridge piers and 11 openings. It was very safe when a 429-ton large truck passed through. Each side of Lugou Bridge has posts and sidewall. On each of the 281 posts there is a stone lion. And on the head, back, belly and under the claws of the every lion hides a stone lion in different shapes.
Wanpingcheng (City) was started in Chongzhen 11th year of Ming Dynasty, or more than 300 ago. The City is 640 meters long from east to west, and 320 meters wide, with two city gates in east and west, as well as a city gate tower. At the four corners of the city, there are towers for local authorities. It's also the monumental place for the "July 7 Incident of 1937". There are yet craters on the city wall fired by Japanese invaders when they attacked Wanping City.